Have you seen some of our drug facts on Twitter or Facebook? Here's a starting point for more information about them.
If you'd like to join in, tweet your own favorite fact and add: http://t.co/qLrFeRP6 Real #drugfacts2011 to link back here and be included in the Drug Facts Week chatter.
The 2011 Drug Facts Week was a real success, but don't let the end of the week stop you. Continue to tweet facts all year long. Just say know.
- Most marijuana users never use any other illicit drug. What gateway? For the vast majority of people, marijuana is a terminus, not a gateway drug. Sources
- Marijuana has not been shown to cause mental illness. Sources
- There is no compelling evidence that marijuana contributes substantially to traffic accidents and fatalities. Sources
- NIDA-funded study showed no increased cancer risk for even heavy cannabis smokers. Source
- The Drug Czar is required by law to lie. Source
- The Drug Czar has been caught lying about drugged driving statistics. Source
- NIDA only funds research intended to find negatives about drugs. Source
- For over 30 years, the federal government has been providing medical marijuana to patients. Source
- DEA Judge Francis Young called cannabis "one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man" Source
- Unlike most FDA-approved drugs, nobody has ever died from an overdose of marijuana. Source, Source, Source
- Most marijuana admissions to the $20 billion treatment industry are criminal justice referrals, not people with problems. Source, Source
- The government has known since 1974 that cannabis fights cancer. Source
- Because of the drug war, the U.S. incarcerates almost 6X more black males than S. Africa during apartheid. Source
- Cannabis use is not linked to the so-called "amotivational syndrome" Source
- Increased drug law enforcement leads to increased violence. Source
- Prohibition makes drug use more dangerous. Most deaths attributed to heroin are, in fact, caused by black market factors. Source
- Legalized medical marijuana doesn't increase use by teens. Source.
- Just 45 percent of marijuana admissions met the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders criteria for marijuana dependence. More than a third hadn’t used marijuana in the 30 days prior to admission for treatment.Source
- Psilocybin use can lead to ong-term personality changes, with people becoming more open, more curious, more intellectually engaged and more creative Source
- Needle exchange programs save lives without increasing drug abuse. Source
- People don't need to die from heroin overdoses. Maintenance programs, Naloxone. Source
- blacks are just 12 percent of the population and 13 percent of the drug users, and despite the fact that traffic stops and similar enforcement yield equal arrest rates for minorities and whites alike, blacks are 38 percent of those arrested for drug offenses and 59 percent of those convicted of drug offenses. Source
More to come...